I was at the Asian Mart on Sunday, and picked up a section of the lotus root. Old Man Winter had been sending the biting cold air over the Midwest, and a bowl of warm Lotus Soup would cheer us up after a day out in the cold.
The recipe is from Cuisine Paradise.
Thanks for sharing the recipe!
My kids love this soup!
1.2 lb Country Style Pork Ribs
1.5 litres Water
4-5 pcs Red Dates
1 tsp Wolfberries
5－6 pcs 淮山 (or fresh 山药 15-20cm long)
1-2 stalks 党参 (cut into 1" strips)
2 pcs 北芪 (cut strips into halves)
1 莲藕 (cut thinly into wheels)
- Wash and clean the pork ribs.
- Blanch in boiling water.
- Remove and rinse in cold water.
- Put all ingredients into the pot.
- Bring to a boil.
- Lower heat and simmer for 1.5 hours.
- If using fresh 淮山, add it in before drinking the soup. Bring the soup to a boil and turn off heat. If it is left in the soup for too long, it becomes very soft and break apart, turning the soup milky.
- Add salt to taste if necessary.
No photograph of the soup?
Well, I was so eager to drink the soup and start dinner, I forgot all about taking photographs of the final product! The meat was very sweet, and the soup tasted good, especially after I removed most of the oil in the soup =)