Another recipe from the cookbook Quick & Easy Japanese Recipes.
The recipe is titled "Sweet Soy Chicken and Egg Rice Bowl". However, the ingredients used are very similar to the Bento recipe for "Three-Colour Rice Bento". So I added some greens to the recipe, and turned from it from two colours to three, and titled it "Three-Colour Rice Bowl" instead.
This is one good recipe for bentos!
Adapted from Quick & Easy Japanese Recipes
(Periplus Mini Cookbooks)
Preparation Time : 5 mins
Cooking Time : 20 mins
250g Minced Chicken Meat
2 cups Uncooked Japanese Rice
4 tsp Sesame Oil
For the minced chicken meat
3 tbsp Soy Sauce
4 tsp Sake
2 tsp Sugar
2 tsp Mirin
For the scrambled eggs
4 tsp Mirin
- Cooked the 2 cups of rice accordingly.
- Combine the ingredients for the minced chicken meat in a small bowl. Set aside this soy sauce mixture for later use.
- Heat 2 teaspoons of the sesame oil in a medium frying pan or work over medium heat and fry minced chicken.
- Use a fork to break up the meat. Cook 2-3 minutes or until chicken is just cooked.
- Season with soy sauce mixture and continue to cook for 2-3 minutes or until all the cooking liquid has evaporated. Remove to a medium bowl and set aside.
- Lightly beat eggs with 4 teaspoons of mirin until just combined. Set aside.
- Heat the remaining 2 teaspoons of sesame oil in frying pan over medium heat. Add egg mixture and stir continuously, with 2 to 3 pairs of chopsticks, until firm and the consistency of scrambled eggs.
- Filled two deep bowls with rice.
- Place the blanched broccoli, scrambled eggs and chicken mixture on top of the rice.
- Serve immediately topped with thinly sliced spring onions.
I cut the broccoli into tiny florets. You can microwave the broccoli or blanch them in boiling water. No salt is necessary as we enjoy the crunchiness and natural taste of broccoli.