Thursday, September 24, 2009

Apple Cinnamon Muffins




















I had two gala apples sitting on my dinning table. My boys had say "NO" when offered an apple after school. Their reason? The apples were a little over-ripe, and not crunchy. Not wanting to waste the apples, I decided to use them to make a batch of apple cinnamon muffins. Searched the web and found the recipe from Baking Bites.





























I bought a packet of Whole Ground Flaxseed Meal a while ago. Not wanting to put too much oil/butter in my bakes, I decided to try using the flaxseed meal to replace the oil required. Flaxseed meal definitely has more nutritional values than oil/butter. The ratio required is 3 portions of flaxseed meal to 1 portion of oil/butter/shortening.

2 cups Flour
2 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Salt
1.5 tsp Ground Cinnamon
1/4 tsp Ground Ginger (I omit this)
3/4 cup Brown Sugar
1 Large Egg
2 tbsp Butter, melted and cooled
2 tbsp Vegetable Oil (I replaced with 6 tbsp Flaxseed Meal)
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
1 cup Buttermilk (I used fresh milk)
1.5 cups Diced Apples

Toppings : 3 tbsp Coarse Sugar + 1/2 tsp Ground Cinnamon

  • Preheat oven to 375F.
  • In a medium bowl, mix together the dry ingredients.
  • In a large bowl, add brown sugar, egg and vanilla extract. Mix well.
  • Whisk in melted butter.
  • Alternately stir in flour mixture and buttermilk.
  • Stir in diced apples.
  • Divide batter into the prepared muffin cups. Fill to the top.
  • Sprinkle the topping over the batter.
  • Bake for 15-18 minutes, or till done.

Yummy!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails