Sunday, March 13, 2011

Banana Muffins



This recipe is meant for banana and chocolate chips, from Epicurious.com. My original plan was to sprinkle the mini semisweet chocolate morsels onto the top of the batter, instead of mixing it with the batter. I didn't want too much sugar in the muffin, since it already contained half a cup of butter. However, in my haste to send the muffins into the oven, I completely forgot about the mini chocolate morsels! So I ended up with Banana Muffins instead. It was not so bad. In fact, I liked it this way, without the sweetness from the chocolate morsels. The top was crispy, and the inside, soft.

Instead of 12 muffins, I had 8 muffins, and 22 mini muffins. There was a tray of mini muffins sitting on the table top, awaiting its turn into the oven when i remembered the chocolate morsels. So I dropped a few morsels onto the top of these mini muffins, just to make the boys happy. In fact, they like the mini muffins, with and without the chocolate morsels! All 22 mini muffins were gone on the day they were baked =)


1 1/2 cups All Purpose Flour
2/3 cup Sugar (I use slightly less)
1 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
1/4 tsp Salt
1 cup Mashed banana (I had a little more than 1 cup with 3 bananas)
1 Large Egg
1/2 cup Unsalted Butter, melted
1/4 cup Milk


  • Preheat oven to 350F.
  • Line muffin trays with 12 muffin cup liners.
  • Mix flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a large bowl.
  • Melt butter, let cool.
  • In a medium bowl, mashed bananas.
  • Add milk to the bowl of mashed bananas. Mix well.
  • Add melted butter and the lightly beaten egg. Mix well.
  • Stir the banana mixture into the bowl of dry ingredients just until blended. Do not overmix or you get tough muffins.
  • Divide batter among prepared muffin cups, filing each about 3/4 full.
  • Bake 30 minutes or till the top are golden brown, and a pick inserted comes out clean.
  • Transfer muffins to a cooling rack.


The next time I make this batch of banana muffins , I would happily omit the mini chocolate morsels again. I would replace some of the flour with whole wheat flour, and replace some butter with grounded flaxseed. My next kitchen experiment!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails