Monday, March 28, 2011

SMILE =)




A big smiley to chase the Monday blues away!

I was at the Asian Mart yesterday, doing my weekly grocery shopping when I found myself staring at this huge bottle of ABC Kecap Manis. All possible dishes using this sauce came to mind. I don't want to buy a big bottle of sauce which I don't use often. However, the bottle I was staring at was too big! It was a deal when I spotted another smaller bottle down the aisle.

With some rice left over from last night's dinner, I decided to do a non-spicy version of Nasi Goreng, using Kecap Manis! The recipe was adapted from The Perfect Pantry. Thank you, Lydia, for sharing all the wonderful recipes at your blog!


1 tbsp Olive Oil
1 clove Garlic, minced
1.5 cup Lettuce Trio
1.5 cup Cold Cooked Rice
1 cup Chicken Thigh Fillets, cubed
1 Egg, lightly beaten
1 tbsp Kecap Manis
1/4tsp Sesame Oil


  • Heat up wok and add oil.
  • Add minced garlic and fry till fragrant.
  • Add uncooked chicken cubes.
  • Fry till cooked and lightly browned.
  • Add shredded lettuce trio and fry for 1min.
  • Push the chicken and lettuce to one side.
  • Add beaten egg, cook till just set.
  • Add rice, stirring egg and rice together.
  • Add kecap manis and sesame oil.
  • Stir to mix all the ingredients in the wok.

I omitted the shrimps and chilli, since Darling son KW would not eat shrimps, and both boys could not take spicy food. The lettuce shrunk so much after frying, I could hardly see any vegetables in the plate of fried rice! I felt uncomfortable not seeing any greens in the rice. So I blanched some broccoli florets and mixed them into the plate of fried rice =)

The fried rice was sweet, and tasted as good when cold (I tried the little leftover in their lunchbox after school). Instead of telling me how they liked the fried rice, they ended up telling me how the rice covered the smile. I was not surprised, since their lunch bags were swinging violently on their bike handle as they biked their way to school this morning =)

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails