Thursday, April 9, 2009

Honey, I caught a SPIDER!






















Ok, I didn't catch a spider .. I baked a "spidey" cake =)

It was Spring Break for the kids.

It was exhausting having two kids at home.
The noise level went up two notches.
I had endless chores to do.
I started getting body aches, after playing a day of soccer with the boys (mine and neighbour's inclusive). It didn't get any better after having to walk with my younger one, with the elder one cycling, every afternoon, to the school playground for a round of cycling and slides there.

It was like going on The Amazing Race ... a test of your endurance and patience. I was exhausted, and needed some sugar to energise ... so baking and eating were the two best solutions! No wonder I couldn't lose the pounds I gained during my pregnancy, ha ha.




















I baked a French Yogurt Cake. Took some of the batter and put it into my "spiders and webs" muffin moulds. Took an icing gel tube and started icing the baked spiders and webs. Not too bad a drawing on the spider, yah?
It was no surprise that the kids came running to the table when I told them the cake is ready =)

It was an easy cake to bake, a cross between a sponge cake and pound cake. It was one of those cake which I would bake whenever I feel like having a slice of cake to snack on. Like pound cakes, it will be better the day after it is made.

Recipe adapted from:
Baking From .. My Home To Yours, by Dorie Greenspan

French Yogurt Cake

1 cup All purpose flour
1/2 cup Almond meal (or replace this with 1/2 cup all-purpose flour)
2 tsp Baking powder
1 cup Sugar
1/2 cup Yogurt
3 Large Eggs
1/4 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
1/2 cup Flavorless oil, eg canola or safflower (I used Olive oil)

Pinch of salt
Grated zest of 1 lemon

  1. Preheat oven to 350F.
  2. Generously butter an 8.5 x 4.5 inch loaf pan and place the pan on a baking sheet.
  3. Whisk together flour, almond meal (if using), baking powder and salt.
  4. Put sugar and lemon zest in a medium bowl. With a mixing spoon or with your fingers, rub the zest into the sugar until the sugar is moist and aromatic.
  5. Add yogurt, eggs and vanilla. Whisk vigorously till the mixture is very well blended.
  6. Still whisking, add the dry ingredients.
  7. Then fold in the oil. You will have a thick, smooth batter with a slight sheen.
  8. Scrape batter into the pan and smooth the top.
  9. Bake for 50 to 55 minutes, or until the cake begins to come away from the sides of the pan.
  10. It should be golden brown, and a thin knife inserted into the centre will come out clean.
  11. Transfer pan to a rack and cool for 5 minutes.
  12. Unmould and cool to room temperature right side up on the rack.
  13. Sprinkle some icing sugar on top to "dress up" the cake.

Enjoy your slice of cake!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It is absoluetly delicious! I can't wait to bake my own. Thanks!

Related Posts with Thumbnails