Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Jalapeno Spice Sauce Noodles





















We invited some friends last Friday, and I took a recipe from the book, Williams-Sonoma : Food Made Fast Asian, to try. The salt and pepper prawns was a delightful dish! The prawns had a crunch to it, and the sauce ... Mmmm .... Hubby dear liked the sauce so much, he asked me to make it again. However, the book was with my friend, and I could only cook based on what I remembered. Proportion-wise .. it's just an estimate .. aga-aga (Hokkien).

Instead of coating the prawns with flour and searing them on a heated pan, I pan-fried the prawns (cleaned, deveined, and pat dry) with some butter. No salt, no other seasoning. Of course, no mess from trying to coat the prawns with flour. The prawns took less than 5 minutes to cook. After frying, I cooked the egg noodles as per the package instructions, and set it aside when done. Then I proceed to prepare the 5-spice mixture, and started mincing the garlic, ginger and jalapeno peppers!


1 head Garlic, minced
3" knob Ginger, minced
2 Jalapeno Pepper, deseeded and cubed

1 tsp 5-Spice Powder
1 tsp Sea Salt
1 tsp Ground White Powder
4 tsp Mirin

16 Large Prawns - Remove shells, deveined, cleaned and pat dry


  • Heat up a pan.
  • Add a tablespoon of butter, and two tablespoons of vegetable oil to the heated pan.
  • Add the minced garlic, ginger and jalapeno peppers when the oils are heated through.
  • Stir fry till fragrant.
  • Add the 5-spice mixture and give it a quick stir.
  • Add the noodles and mix well with the sauce.
  • Add the cooked prawns and mix well.
  • Turn off heat.
  • Serve warm with some blanched Bak Choy.






















The aroma of the garlic, ginger and jalapeno peppers filled the apartment, and hunger pangs striked. I wanted to take photo of my hubby's plate of noodles, as the plate look nicer with the noodles in it. But he was so hungry, he started eating before I could take any photos! Hence the not so nice plate was used for photo taking .....

Well, since it was just an aga-ration (Hokkien for estimation), the sauce turned out a little too salty for my taste buds. But hubby dear found it ok. The vegetables did a good job in balancing the saltiness of the sauce. Feel free to reduce the salt, or add more salt. I guess I had to cook this more often to get the proportion of the spice mixture right, instead of just using estimation.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails