Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Baked ShaoXing Chicken Thigh Fillet




















Sometimes, I craved for fried chicken pieces ... succulent with crispy skin ... wooo. Never mind that it is loaded with lots of fats. But seriously, I'm just too lazy to fry them in a pan. The frying part is not difficult. It's the cleaning up after the frying that I dislike. The oil will splatter onto the entire stove, the knobs, the counter top beside it, and the pots and pans that are just lying around the frying pan. Oh, and the oily floor .... sigh.

By accident, I found that using the oven, baking at a high enough temperature, yielded that same results as frying the chicken piece in a pan! I'm delighted!

  • Debone the chicken thigh, with skin attached.
  • Cut a few slits, about 1 cm apart, on the back of the chicken piece.
  • Clean and pat dry.
  • Marinate with some Shaoxing Wine for at least 20 minutes.
  • Discard wine, and place chicken fillet on a piece of parchment paper in a baking tray.
  • Season with some sea salt and ground black pepper.
  • Bake at 425F till browned and crispy.
  • Remove and serve warm.

The skin is as crispy as when you pan fry the chicken! I love it! No oily mess to clean, and I'm free to do whatever I like as the chicken pieces bake in the oven! It's good for packing into the kids' school lunchboxes too! The kids came home with an empty lunch box =)

2 comments:

Jo said...

Hi

After reading your post on this, I would like to try it. However, in Singapore, I can't find Shaoxing. Is there another for it?

Thank you.

Jo

PiggyMummy said...

Hi Jo,

I think Shaoxing is also called HuaTiao Wine in Singapore. You should be able to find it in NTUC. Look for it at the section where they sell cooking wine =)

Happy cooking and baking!

Related Posts with Thumbnails