Since it was just me and the kids eating lunch today, I took a shortcut and used the rice-cooker to cook the rice, and the chicken! It's a fuss-free meal with minimum washing up =)
The chicken pieces were already cleaned and cubed. I took the bag of chicken cubes out from the freezer to thaw in the fridge yesterday. This morning, all I needed to do was to take the bag out of the fridge, marinate, mix with some mini sweet peppers, put them on a foil and send into the rice cooker to cook!
2 pcs Chicken Thigh Fillets, deboned and cubed
2 tbsp Low Sodium Soy Sauce
1 tbsp Mirin
4 Mini Sweet Peppers, cut into thin strips
1 cup Chicken Stock (Approximate amount)
- In a bowl, marinate chicken cubes with soy sauce and mirin for about 15 minutes.
- Cut the mini sweet peppers into thin strips.
- Transfer chicken pieces onto a big piece of aluminium foil.
- Add the peppers.
- Fold the sides and pour enough chicken stock to slightly cover the chicken pieces.
- Make sure the chicken pieces are spread out, for even cooking.
- Seal the package and transfer onto the steamer.
- Place steamer into rice cooker and press the button to start cooking the rice and the chicken.
The steamer has holes that allow the steam (from cooking the rice) to pass through, hence helping to cook the foil bag of chicken pieces. Alternatively, if you do not have a steamer that comes with the rice cooker, you can place the foil bag on the rice itself. Whether you are using a steamer or placing the foil bag on the rice directly, this cooking method works for small amount of chicken.
Me and the kids love the sauce from the chicken! The boys asked for an extra helping of rice and sauce. They love the sauce over their rice and blanched broccoli. I could taste the sweetness of the peppers in the sauce. This is going to be the "Must Have" dish when hubby is not having his lunch/dinner with us =)