Thursday, April 21, 2011

Stir Fry Chayote With Broccoli



I met my Taiwanese neighbour at the asian mart and she saw the two chayotes I had in my cart. She said she cooked the chayotes, with the skin on, and they ended up very mushy. She looked in disbelief when I said I used them for soups, with the skin removed. My guess for the mushy chayotes was she didn't remove the skin and probably overcooked the chayotes while waiting for the skin to soften.


Hmmm, frying the chayotes .... I have never thought of frying them! Hubby and I love eating the chayotes from the soups. They have a soft crunch. Somewhat reminds me of cucumber. It is worth a try frying them. However, I need to add some florets of broccoli, as the boys will probably not want to eat the chayotes. They are not very adventurous in trying out new types of vegetables.


2pcs Chayotes, skin removed and sliced
1 head Broccoli, cut into florets
1/2 inch Ginger, remove skin and cut into thin strips
Chicken Stock and a little salt to taste

  • Heat up a frying pan.
  • Add a little olive oil.
  • Fry the strips of ginger till fragrant.
  • Add the sliced chayotes and give it a quick stir.
  • Add enough chicken stock to slightly cover the chayotes.
  • You can either leave the chayote to continue cooking and soften in the pan, or cover the pan with a lid to speed up the process. Check the chayotes occasionally, so that they don't soften so much that they become mushy.
  • Add the florets of broccoli when the chayotes are softened to your liking.
  • Cook the broccoli for a while.
  • Add some salt to taste.
  • Remove and serve warm.

I was right, the kids didn't want to eat the chayotes! They finished up the broccoli, and I must say, the broccoli tasted better when fried with ginger than garlic! Hubby and I liked the chayote slices. Refreshing with a slight crunch to it. Well, I guess I can still mix the two vegetables and cook it as one dish, since it pleases both the adults and the kids.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails