Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Nutella Swirl Cake/Cupcakes





















I used to bake these back on the tiny island called the Little Red Dot. Mini Nutella Swirl Cupcakes, to be exact. I love mini bakes ... small enough to be popped into the mouth, especially when you need a snack while working. However, I do not have any mini muffin pans with me in the woods. Since hubby dear will need to stay back late in the laboratory tomorrow evening to finish his experiments, I used my loaf pans to bake as cakes instead of cupcakes. He can share the mini-loaf with his classmates, while the boys and I have can share the bigger loaf at home!










Recipe from I heart CuppyCakes


10 tbsp (140g) Butter, softened
3/4 cup Sugar
3 Eggs
1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
1 3/4 cups (200g) All Purpose Flour
1/4 tsp Salt
2 tsp Baking Powder
Nutella About 1/3 cup (I just scoop what I need)


  • Preheat oven to 350F, since I am baking a cake instead of cupcakes.
  • If baking cupcakes, preheat oven to 325F instead.
  • Cream butter. Gradually add sugar, and cream both till light and fluffy.
  • Add eggs, one at a time.
  • Add vanilla extract.
  • Stir in Flour, Salt and Baking Powder.
  • Fill one third of the loaf pan with the batter and spread evenly.
  • Spread a thick layer of Nutella on the batter.
  • Top the Nutella with batter and fill the pan to 2/3 full.
  • Top the batter with more Nutella. Swirl the Nutella with a toothpick.
  • Fold a bit of the batter over the Nutella.
  • Bake at 350F for about 25 minutes or till done.

This is a "Once-in-a-long-While" type of cake as the amount of butter is too much to my liking. I omit the frosting, as I find cakes with frosting a tad too sweet for my taste buds. The cake itself is sweet without the frosting, and the sides are a little crispy. The Nutella moistens the cake and it makes a good after school snack!

3 comments:

Allen said...

Best Blog I've ever seen, so moved.

Unknown said...

It was so delicious! Lijun you cook the best cakes in the world!!

I love your blog! It is so heartwarming. This is my first time reading it and I almost cried~~ I like you!

PiggyMummy said...

Hi Zhen and Jinlu,

Thank you for dropping by my blog =)
Jinlu - See you on 21st, at my place, for dinner!

Related Posts with Thumbnails