Monday, November 30, 2009

Panko Shrimps with Sweet and Sour Sauce





















I had a big of prawns sitting in the freezer, waiting to opened.
Darling son KW doesn't really like prawns, but hubby dear and darling son YW love it! In order for darling son KW to eat the prawns, I decided to "dress them up"! He gave me the "thumbs up" during dinner =)

Deep Fried Panko Shrimps

20 pcs Raw White Shrimp
1 cup Corn Flour or All Purpose Flour
1 Egg, lightly beaten
1 cup Panko (Add some grated Parmesan Cheese if you like)

  • Deveined and remove tail of shrimps.
  • Wash and dry the shrimps.
  • Coat the shrimp with flour.
  • Dip the flour-coated shrimp in egg.
  • Lastly, dip the shrimp in Panko or breadcrumbs.
  • Heat up a pan of oil.
  • Deep fry the coated shrimps till golden brown.
  • Keep the deep fried shrimps warm in a slightly heated oven.


Sweet and sour sauce is usually the dipping sauce for prawns.




















I had no idea how to go about making the sauce actually. Since I was in a mood to experiment with the ingredients, I just mixed whatever I think would taste good! I was very glad the sauce turned out well. The taste of the sauce was right ... sweet and sour indeed, and very appetisting!

I was a little too generous with the amount of ingredients used, and ended with a big bowl of sauce. It worried me a little that I might have too much leftover. Having noodles with the sauce for dinner would be a good way to finish the bowl of sauce, but I had already cooked rice. The boys and the man liked the sauce so much, they polished off their rice and the sauce! Phew!

Sweet and Sour Sauce

5 tbsp Tomato Ketchup
2 tbsp Sugar
1 Carrot, Peeled and Cubed
1/2 can Crushed Pineapple with Juice
1/2 can Canned Mushrooms
1/2 Yellow Onion
1 tbsp Corn Flour
2-3 tbsp Water

  • Heat up a pan.
  • Add 1 tbsp of oil and fry the diced onion till fragrant.
  • Add the canned mushrooms and carrots.
  • Add a little water, cover and cook till carrots are soft.
  • Mix the tomato ketchup and sugar.
  • Pour into the pan of mushrooms, carrots and onion.
  • Add the crushed pineapple and a little of the juice.
  • Add the cornflour mixture slowly to thicken the sauce.
  • Adjust the amount of cornflour mixture used, depending on the desired consistency of the sauce.

My kitchen, my laboratory! Yeah!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails