Friday, November 26, 2010

Jam-filled Muffins



















I was in a hurry to bake some snacks for afternoon tea. Muffins, so that I don't have to use my mixer. I googled for "jam-filled muffins", and came to Crepes of Wrath. The photograph of the muffins sitting next to some strawberries looked so appealing that I knew I had to make some right away!

These muffins are really simple to make. Just mix the wet and dry ingredients together. The preparation and the baking took me just a little over 30 minutes. The best part of the recipe? Only 1/4 cup of butter is used! That is about 60g! Jam and Yogurt are items that can be found most of the time in my fridge. However, I replace lemon zest with orange zest, since I have a big bag of oranges sitting in my kitchen.


1/2 cup Sugar
Zest of 1 small lemon (I use 1 small orange)
1 1/2 cups All Purpose Flour
21/2 tsp Baking Powder
1 tsp Ground Cinnamon
1/4 tsp Salt
2/3 cup Fat-free Vanilla Yogurt
1/4 cup Unsalted Butter, melted and slightly cooled
3 tbsp Milk
1 Egg (lightly beaten)
1/4 cup Jam (Any flavor .. I use Raspberry Jelly Jam)

Topping: 2 tbsp Sugar + 1 tsp Ground Cinnamon (I omit this)


  • Preheat oven to 375F.
  • Line muffin tray with muffin liners.
  • If not using liners, spray lightly with PAM.
  • In a mixing bowl, using a spoon or a spatula, stir the zest into the sugar till the sugar turn a pale yellow.
  • Combine the zesty lemon sugar with flour, baking powder, ground cinnamon and salt.
  • Mix well the dry ingredients.
  • In another bowl, mix together the wet ingredients ... Yogurt, melted butter, milk and egg, stirring well with a whisk.
  • Gradually add flour mixture to the yogurt mixture till just combined.
  • Do not overmix. You do not want tough and dry muffins.
  • Spoon 1 tablespoon of the batter into each muffin liner.
  • Top with 1 teaspoon of jam.
  • Top the jam with another 1 tablespoon of batter.
  • Sprinkle cinnamon sugar topping over the batter.
  • Bake for 15-20 minutes, until a wooden pick inserted comes out clean, and the top is golden and set.
  • Cool in the muffin tray on a cooling rack for about 15 minutes.
  • Remove muffins from tray and continue to cool them on a rack.

You can eat it slightly warm, or when it is completely cool.
Either way, they are yummy!

I omitted the sugar and cinnamon topping. The muffins have a distinct taste of orange and cinnamon flavor in them. The jam pairs well with the soft texture of the muffin. and the crunchy muffin top adds delight to the first bite.

When it's time for our afternoon snack ....
Darling son YW asked for a second helping.
Darling son KW said "I love these".
Hubby dear gave the thumbs up.

So I guessed these muffins passed the test =)
They are going to be regulars for the boys' after-school snack!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails