Friday, February 18, 2011

Banana Cupcakes



Another day of school closure.

Since the boys were at home, and I had some speckled bananas sitting in the pantry, I thought I would use them to bake some cupcakes for their afternoon snacks.

I was keen to use a different recipe, so I did a search on the internet, and found the recipe at AllRecipes.Com. The cupcakes were moist, and I would definitely cut down on the amount of sugar, if chocolate chips were to be included in the cupcakes.



I halved the recipe, and baked some mini cupcakes too. The boys loved the mini ones, as they could just pop one in their mouth. Hmmm, the mini ones were gone within an hour! I will the next time I bake these, I will only do the mini ones =)

The following is adapted from AllRecipes.com. I made some adjustments to the amount.

1 1/4 cups All Purpose Flour
1/2 tbsp Baking Soda
1/4 cup Unsalted Butter (I use salted butter and omit the salt)
1/2 cup White Sugar
1/4 cup Light Brown Sugar
1 Egg
3 Small Ripe Bananas, Mashed
1/3 cup Buttermilk (I use fresh milk)
1/4 cup Chopped Walnuts (I replace with mini Chocolate Chips)


  • Preheat oven to 350F/175C.
  • Line muffin pan with paper liners.
  • I use one 6-muffin pan and one 12-mini muffin pan.
  • In a small bowl, whisk together flour, salt and baking soda. Set aside.
  • In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars till light and fluffy.
  • Beat in egg, add in mashed bananas.
  • Add flour mixture alternately with the buttermilk to the creamed mixture. Start and end with flour.
  • Stir in chocolate chips, leaving a small amount to top the batter later.
  • Pour batter into the prepared pans.
  • Top the batter with a couple of mini chocolate chips.
  • Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes, or till done.
  • The mini cakes should be baked before the bigger ones.
  • Remove from oven and let cool on a rack.

I didn't really measure the amount of chocolate chips I use. If you are going to use more chocolate chips, you may want to reduce the amount of sugar used. I would love to try this with some chopped walnuts or almonds the next time =)


No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails