Tuesday, February 15, 2011

The "Starry" Dark Side



When you think of Star Wars, you think of Darth Vader, Yoda and the Jedi. Darth Vader may be from the Dark Side, but he is no doubt the "Star" there.

I bought the Darth Vader cupcake rings and light saber from ShopBakersNook. There is also the Storm Trooper cupcake ring. My boys were very excited to see these rings and food picks, and half of my purchases ended up with them. They kept asking me "Will you be using the light saber in the lunchbox any time soon?".

It was not that difficult to make the body of Darth Vader. I did a sushi roll, without any filling, although I did seasoned the rice with some sushi vinegar. It was a long and thin roll, just the right size for his body. Cut the two ends so that it fits nicely into the lunchbox. A slit across the roll near one end of the roll nicely fit the cupcake ring. There, we have our head attached, and the body. I cut another sheet of nori to put over the roll, so that Darth Vader now has his cloak on. While trying to get the roll into the box, I accidentally tore a corner of his cloak! So you see a star over the corner of the cloak, which nicely hid the torn portion =)

In the Bento, we have a rice roll, some florets of cauliflower, and pan fried chicken thigh fillet in black bean and garlic sauce (mixed with some sugar). The chicken pieces were put on a leaf of lettuce, so that the oil would not soften the nori holding the rice roll.

May the force be with you!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails