Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Miso Turkey



















"Would you guys like to try the school lunch tomorrow?", I asked.
"No way!" came the answer from my elder boy.

So since school started, I have been cooking and packing lunches for the boys. I don't mind preparing their lunch, even though it means that I have to cook in the morning. A look at the school lunch menu helps made the decision : French Fries, Brownies, Chicken Nuggets, Chocolate Cake, Green Beans, Baby Carrots and Dip, etc. It may be low-fat brownies, or baked french fries instead of deep fried. There may be healthy items like baby carrots. But to have a dip to go with the baby carrots? I don't know what goes into the dip, really. Plus, my boys love eating rice more than bread or pasta. Yes, very asian.

I have only about 45 minutes each morning, to cook and pack their lunch boxes, wake the boys up, prepare breakfast, change and get ready to walk to school. Hence, whatever that goes into the lunch box with rice, has to be easy to prepare! No fancy bento boxes. Mummy has no time for that =)

Miso turkey, is one of the dish I prepare at least once a week. It goes well with mushroom, broccoli or cauliflower. I will usually put the broccoli/cauliflower in the microwave while I cook the miso turkey.
Ground turkey can be substituted with ground chicken or pork.

250g Ground turkey
2 tbsp Red Cooking Wine
1 tbsp Miso Paste

  • Marinate the ground turkey with the red cooking wine.
  • Set aside the ground turkey for 5 minutes.
  • Heat up the saucepan.
  • Add a tablespoon of oil into the saucepan.
  • Add the ground turkey into the hot oil.
  • Using a pair of chopsticks, or spoon, stir the meat.
  • When almost cooked, add the tablespoon of miso paste.
  • Stir to mix well.
  • If too salty, add some water.

The miso turkey adds just the right amount of flavor/saltiness to a bowl of plain hot rice with broccoli/cauliflower. I usually do not season the broccoli/cauliflower. For my little boy, who is a slow eater, I will cut the broccoli into smaller pieces. Alternatively, I fry some fresh button mushrooms in a little butter to replace the broccoli/cauliflower.

Yummy!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails