Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Honey Walnut Shrimps




















This is one dish we like to order when we eat out at chinese restaurants.
It is expensive to eat out, and it's expensive to order this dish every time we eat out. But the man and the boys love this dish! They like the sauce on the shrimps, and the crunchiness of the fried shrimps. Even darling son KW, who is not a fan of seafood, gives his thumbs up for this dish. I never know that it is so easy to prepare this dish, till I do a search on the internet for the recipe! It's really an easy and simple dish to prepare!

I know the texture of the shrimps taste better when I dip the shrimps in egg whites followed by flour. However, I am not very keen to use 3-4 eggs, just to get the egg whites! I know I can use the egg yolks for my cookie dough, but I'm not in the mood to bake any cookies this week. Hence I settled for this recipe, using flour and water instead of flour and egg whites. When I have collected enough egg whites from baking cookies, I will definitely cook this dish again. I will probably try another recipe from Rasa Malaysia, using egg whites for the shrimps, and preparing the walnuts in another way!


To prepare the candied walnuts

1 cup Walnuts
1 tbsp Butter
2 tbsp Sugar

  • Heat up the butter in a pan.
  • Add walnuts when butter has melted.
  • Stir and coat the walnuts with butter.
  • Fry the walnuts on medium heat.
  • Add sugar and mix well with the walnuts.
  • Spread walnuts on baking tray to cool.

To prepare the Shrimps

1 cup Corn Flour
1 cup Water
1 lb Shrimps, deveined and peeled
1 tsp Sugar
1/2 tsp Salt

  • Add sugar and salt to corn flour.
  • Add water and mix well.
  • Dip shrimps into batter.
  • Heat up a pan of oil.
  • Deep fried the battered shrimps till golden brown.
  • Remove and drain on a kitchen towel.
  • Arrange on a plate and let cool.


To prepare the Sauce

3 tbsp Mayonnaise
1 tbsp Honey
2 tbsp Condensed Milk (I omit this)
1/2 tsp Lemon Juice

  • Mix all the above ingredients in a bowl.
  • Pour over the shrimps.
  • Add the candied walnuts.

I don't have any condensed milk, so I omit it when preparing the sauce.
To my surprise, the sauce didn't turn out too bad! Even if I do have the condensed milk, I will probably reduce the amount, as I find the sweetness of the sauce without the condensed milk just right. I guess the condensed milk not only add a tinge of sweetness to the sauce, it helps to thicken the sauce as well. On second thought, I would like to replace honey with maple syrup the next time I cook this dish. I wonder how the sauce would turn out.

Do you know that you can also use the sauce (without the condensed milk) as a salad sauce?

A couple of days after cooking this dish, I bought a packet of "Lettuce Trio" while grocery shopping. I don't usually buy packets of salads, as the boys prefer vegetables like broccoli, cauliflower, mushrooms, and spinach. I was thinking of the kind of sauce to go with this salad, when I remembered the sauce from the dish Honey Walnut Shrimp. Why not give it a try? It's better than buying a bottle of salad sauce, and not able to finish it. I'm so glad I use the sauce! With the sauce on the salad, the boys actually asked for MORE vegetables! Hahaha! I'm really happy to see them eat their greens!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails