Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Ribs with Sweet Sauce





















I was in an adventurous mood today, and since it was the day for grocery shopping, I decided I would do a new dish tonight .... Ribs with Sweet Sauce!

Ok, the sparerib pieces I bought didn't have much bones on them. But lots of fats. I spent quite some time removing the fats, and was wondering if it was alright for me to use them for the intended dish. Well, when you are feeling adventurous, you are most willingly to give everything a try! So I followed the instructions and deep-fried the pork pieces till they browned. Then I did the sauce. I realised after frying the pork pieces, that I did not have a lot of meat for the sauce prepared! There was enough meat for the family dinner, but adjustments had to be made to the sauce. As rock sugar caramelized when subject to heat, I ended up with a coat of slightly sweet and sticky sauce on the pork pieces. It was delicious! If I had used caster sugar instead of rock sugar, I don't think I will get the same sauce =)

600g Spareribs
6 tbsp Black Vinegar (Maybe can substitute with Worcestershire sauce)
1 tbsp Rice Wine (I used Shaoxing Wine)
1 tbsp Dark Soy Suace
5 tbsp Rock Sugar

  • Wash the spareribs and dry them.
  • Heat up a pan of oil and deep fry the spareribs till golden brown.
  • Drain and set aside.
  • Heat the seasoning in a pan till the rock sugar melts.
  • Stir occasionally.
  • Add the deep fried spareribs.
  • Simmer over low heat for 10 minutes, or till the gravy is almost dry.

This dish was a welcomed change from the usual chicken dishes. Darling son YW is not a fan of pork ... was that why I felt like vomiting whenever I eat pork when I was pregnant with him? He was able to chew the small pieces, but found the bigger pieces too tough. I guess I had to go with the ribs, not just meat pieces, for this dish ... Will try to get them for this dish when I cook it the next time! As for black vinegar .. I don't really like buying a bottle of black vinegar just for one dish! Luckily it was a small bottle. I will have to look for more dishes that use black vinegar as a seasoning. I would like to try Worcestershire sauce to replace black vinegar the next time .. if it works, then all I need is a bottle of Worcestershire sauce, since I use this sauce more than I use black vinegar.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails